The University of Texas at Austin
As part of the Web Central Services Retirement project, the ITS website will be retired. Information about IT services will be replaced by two new sites, IT@UT and UT ServiceNow, and ITS departmental information will be migrated to a new location. All changes will be completed by 7/28/2016.

Long Distance Services (Retirement in Progress)

Calling Options for Long Distance Service

There are three different long distance calling options available for University departments, faculty, and staff.

Authorization Codes

Authorization codes allow long distance calls to be made directly from the University's own telephone switch. Codes may be restricted to making calls from campus only, from off campus to campus, or from one off-campus location to another. Codes may also be authorized for international calling (from campus only). You can view your long distance call records online, and look up your authorization code, using our secure LD Online service.

To request an Authorization Code, complete the order form and submit to the Long Distance Office.

Calling Cards

The university receives a special calling card rate from Qwest Communications International Inc. The calling cards work worldwide, giving traveling employees the options of both domestic and international dialing from off-campus locations.

To request a Qwest calling card, complete the order form and submit to the Long Distance Office.

Toll-free Services

Toll-free services allow calls to departmental phones at no expense to the caller and can be limited to Texas only, the 48 states only, all U.S. (includes Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico) or all U.S. plus Canada. The toll-free number can ring on any campus phone, including one in your department with or without voice mail. You may request a "vanity number" which spells out words or names of your choice (the last seven digits only); if the number is available, the Long Distance Office will assign it to you at no extra charge.

To request a Toll-free Number, complete the order form and submit to the Long Distance Office.

Last updated December 11, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

We Can Help

Get help from an expert:

* UT Service Desk

* Call us at 512-475-9400

* Submit a help request online

We also have a walk-in service in the first floor lobby of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). Stop by and let us help you!