Moving Quickly to Virtual Computing
Information Technology Services (ITS) is moving quickly to the virtual computing world and it’s exciting.
Here is why virtual computing benefits ITS and the colleges, schools and units:
- Lower overall capital and operational costs due to economies of scale
- More flexibility to increase or decrease computing resource needs as needs evolve
- Simplified computing provisioning process
- Virtual computing environment software is updated as required
- Greater server reliability (less downtime)
- Housed in the new data center environment which provides 24x7 on-site staff monitoring, redundant power and cooling, greater physical security, and resilient data network capabilities
- Enterprise-scale support from ITS Systems staff dedicated to expanding and maintaining the virtual computing environment
- Saves energy--about 6,570 kWh per year per virtualized server, compared to stand alone servers
Currently, there are 6,000+ physical servers on campus. For web hosting, application, and test and development servers, virtualization is ideal. With virtualized computing, day-to-day IT services will be improved for ITS and others on campus taking advantage of this opportunity.