Microsoft Windows Vista is a Windows operating system that was released in 2007. Two versions are available from the Campus Computer Store: Windows Vista Enterprise (for departments only) and Windows Vista Ultimate (for students and work-at-home faculty and staff).
- Windows Aero interface enables you to quickly switch between windows and tasks, and features like the customizable Windows Sidebar make it easy to access frequently used information.
- Windows Instant Search makes it easy to find just about anything on your PC.
- Includes new security features such as BitLocker drive encryption, file system encryption, scheduled backups, and more.
Although Microsoft has published specifications for Windows Vista Capable PCs, ITS has found that computers should meet the following specifications to perform adequately with Windows Vista:
- 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 or higher
- 1 GB of RAM or higher
- 60 GB hard disk or higher
- 64 MB video RAM or higher
When running Windows Vista, it is important to note that the more RAM that is available, the better the experience will be. Also, a better video card and more video RAM means that you will be able to run Windows Vista Aero and other user interface enhancements.
There are several purchasing options for Windows Vista. Refer to the Purchasing page for more information about different options and how much they cost.