Austin Active Directory
Last Updated: January 6, 2015 @ 4:02 pm
Next Review Date: 01/01/2016
Service Manager: Alexander G Barth
Governance Group: None
Document Status: Published
- Availability: 99.2%
This document defines the service level agreement for the Austin Active Directory (AD) service.
Austin Active Directory (AD) service is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory populated by the university's EID system. This Active Directory provides the authentication infrastructure for the Austin Exchange Messaging Service (AEMS), provides centralized Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) authentication for several campus services including Blackboard (courses.utexas.edu), and controls access to computing resources in participating departments.
Austin Active Directory can be used by students, faculty and staff who are registered users of the university's computing and Web services. Campus departments may also use this service to facilitate the adoption of Windows servers and desktop computers.
Supported computing environment
The minimum recommended operating system requirements for using AD are:
- Windows Desktop: Windows 7
- Windows Server: Windows Server 2008 R2
- Macintosh Desktop: Mac OS 10.8
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
Tier 1 support
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual.
Tier 2 support
Departmental support staff and the ITS Help Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance occurs during the seven days following the second Tuesday of the month. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the ITS Services Status page.
Austin Active Directory administrators are required to subscribe to the email@example.com mailing list. This list serves as the primary communication method on matters concerning Austin Active Directory management.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
In addition, AD users agree to:
- Provide ITS with contact information for departmental TSC through your ITS contact, and notify ITS of changes.
- Subscribe to the ad-personnel list (ad- firstname.lastname@example.org). This is the primary means that ITS communicates changes to department TSC personnel. For instructions see http://www.utexas.edu/its/mailinglists/subscribing.php.
- Designate at least one secondary TSC for each department.
- Be familiar with the online documentation at http://www.utexas.edu/its/ad.
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
Cost information for this service can be found on the Austin Active Directory web site.