Last Updated: January 6, 2016 @ 9:16 am
Next Review Date: 01/01/2015
Service Manager: Scott Richardson
Governance Group: IT Architecture & Infrastructure
Document Status: Published
- Availability: 99.9%
- Service Request Response: 1 Business Day
This document defines the service level agreement (SLA) and standard operational procedures (SOP) for the UTBackup Service provided by Information Technology Services (ITS). It also describes the rights and responsibilities of any University of Texas at Austin unit that obtains this service from ITS (Customer).
The UTBackup service provides current University of Texas at Austin faculty and staff a simple, secure, cost-effective, and reliable way to incrementally backup their University owned laptop or desktop workstations. Once installed, UTBackup works quietly in the background so that users can continue to do their work without interruption. While departmental technical support contacts (TSCs) are responsible for managing the service and providing tier 1 support, users have the independence and ability to easily restore files on their own as needed. The UTBackup service appliances are housed in the University Data Centers (UDC).
NOTE: UTBackup was selected as the name for the new service and will be used consistently to refer to the Crashplan implementation at the University.
The UTBackup service is intended to serve current University of Texas at Austin faculty and staff as a simple, secure, cost-effective, and reliable way to incrementally backup their University owned laptop or desktop workstations.
Supported Computing Environments
The minimum recommended operating systems and client software are:
Windows Client Software
Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (Sunset support for Vista & XP) /1 GB Memory/1 GHZ+CPU/250MB Drive Space/800x600 display. Windows Server Software Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2008 (Sunset support for Server 2003) /1 GB Memory/1 GHZ+CPU/250MB Drive Space/800x600 display.
MacOS Client Software
OS 10.11 through 10.6 (Sunset support for OS 10.5 & 10.4) /1 GB Memory/1 GHZ+CPU/250MB Drive Space/800x600 display.
Linux Client Software
2.6 Series Kernel with run level 5 /1 GB Memory/1 GHZ+CPU/250MB Drive Space/800x600 display/Oracle (Sun) Java version 1.6+.
- If you intend to operate a Linux or Solaris based workstations in a run level 3 environment CrashPlanPro does work in a non-support configuration. That configuration maybe found here: http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/howto/configureaheadlessclient
Solaris Client Software
Open Solaris, Solaris 10 with run level 5 /1 GB Memory/1 GHZ+Intel CPU/250MB Drive Space/800x600 display/Oracle (Sun) Java version 1.6+.
- CrashplanPro software, server or client, does not support installation on Solaris 9, or on any operating system or hardware using Sparc-based processor architecture.
Data Backup Frequency, Versions and Retention Defaults
- A file copy is created for its initial backup and is retained until deselected from a backup set.
- File deltas (changes) are backed up every 15 minutes
- 15 minute file deltas are available for 1 week
- Daily deltas are available for 90 days
- Weekly deltas are available for 1 year
- Monthly deltas are available for all previous years
- Deselected files are automatically and securely removed from UTBackup servers during their next maintenance cycle.
- Files deleted from a client device are automatically and securely deleted from UTBackup servers in 30 days.
NOTE: Data retention defaults may be reconfigured by department TSCs. Please ask your local IT contact to verifying data retention policy for your department.
Tier 1 support issues will be handled by departmental TSCs. If necessary, support requests can be escalated through the ITS Help Desk for assistance. Routine requests are typically handled within one business day.
Billing and Accounting
The UTBackup service will provide accounting information to to ITS Billing for the following billable events:
- UTBackup storage cost
- Calculated annually from monthly snapshots of usage, averaged (rounded up to the nearest GB), subsidized storage amounts subtracted and any resulting billable overages are to be submitted for processing on August 1st
NOTE: Storage use reports are available through the UTBackup management console.
Termination or Modifcation of Service
Termination or modification of the UTBackup service requires 30 days advance notice to the ITS Help Desk. Customers are responsible for the storage cost during the transition time. Additional details regarding termination of service are yet to be determined and will be updated in this SLA once finalized.
Standard Maintenance of Service
The UTBackup service is subject to any published Networking and UDC maintenance events. There are four types of maintenance events:
Full maintenance events require downtime for all components of the UTBackup service. Full maintenance events cause downtime for all customers of the UTBackup Service.
Partial maintenance events require downtime for some components of the UTBackup service. Four partial maintenance events will occur on Sundays from 12 noon – 6pm in February, June, August, and October of each year.
Non-impactful maintenance is performed routinely with no anticipated downtime for customers of the UTBackup service. These events will be scheduled according to the existing ITS service maintenance guidelines.
Emergency maintenance events are scheduled as required due to security patches or unexpected failure of service components. They can cause Partial or Full outage of the UTBackup service. Emergency maintenance events are announced through the ITS Alerts page
All scheduled maintenance events will be published in the ITS maintenance events calendar. Departmental TSCs will be notified via email 5 days prior to any Full or Partial maintenance.
- Customers must maintain accurate records for financial accounts and UTBackup organization owner contact information. This includes all primary, secondary, and financial management contacts for each top level UTBackup customer organization.
- Customers are responsible for all usage and activity that occurs within their UTBackup organization structure.
- Customers must be aware of and adhere to the University Acceptable Use Policy
- Customers must be aware of and adhere to the University Data Classification Standard
- Customers of the UTBackup service are subject to Information Resources Use and Security Policy guidelines for data security.
Trouble viewing the documents available on this page? Download the Adobe PDF Reader.