WebSpace Acceptable Use Policy
By logging in and using the WebSpace service you agree to comply with this WebSpace Acceptable Use Policy and the University's Acceptable Use Policy.
WebSpace is a file storage and Web publishing service provided by Information Technology Services (ITS). This system is offered as a resource in the pursuit of University-related business (education, research, service and personal noncommercial use as allowed by UT). For example, you may use WebSpace to store copies of important documents, such as homework, and publish a personal Web page. WebSpace is funded by ITAC fees, and there are no additional charges for basic service.
You are responsible for the integrity and availability of your data files. Always keep backup copies of your data on additional media (local hard drive, CD-ROM, flash drive, etc.). Before leaving the University, please be sure to download copies of your data to other media.
WebSpace disk space is available to students, faculty and staff. Your eligibility is based on your status at the University, as determined by the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Human Resources. Because an individual's status may change from semester to semester and between semesters, WebSpace administrators will confirm your eligibility to the disk space on WebSpace after the beginning of each fall and spring semester. If you are not eligible to publish or subscribe to WebSpace at these times, your files may be deleted soon after the 12th day of class of each fall and spring semester.
Employees of the University should be aware that any documents saved or published in your WebSpace may be subject to the Open Records Act.
Rights and Responsibilities
- By logging in and using this service you agree to use the service only in a manner that is consistent with this policy and with other University rules governing acceptable use of information technology, such as the Acceptable Use Policy. You also agree to comply with state and federal laws.
- The terms and conditions of these policies, rules, procedures, and agreements are subject to change without prior notice. Notice of such changes may be given by posting on the Internet, by e-mail, or other means. It is your responsibility to check periodically for changes in these terms and conditions.
- Failure to comply with the terms of service may result in a discontinuation of service or disciplinary actions. Failure to comply with applicable law could result in civil actions or criminal charges.
- It is the policy of the University of Texas at Austin to respect legitimate privacy interests of WebSpace users within appropriate limits for educational, ethical, and legal reasons. WebSpace administrators routinely monitor the volume of WebSpace traffic for system management purposes. Usage may also be subject to security testing and monitoring. If UT Austin receives a credible report that a violation has occurred, or if, in the course of managing the service, evidence of a violation is discovered, then the matter will be sent to the Information Security Office for investigation.
Disk and Bandwidth Allocation
The service allows 1000 MB (1 GB) of disk space for file storage per user. If you need additional space or additional features, ITS offers many other disk storage options. Network resources are limited. As a result the WebSpace service is subject to limits on the amount of data that can be transferred over the network (bandwidth), as follows:
- Unlimited on-campus bandwidth usage
- Limited off-campus bandwidth usage for the overall service, not for individual users
Bandwidth can be consumed not only by your own use of WebSpace, but by others who access your personal Web page or download files stored in your WebSpace account. ITS reserves the right to discontinue service without notice. If you exceed your bandwidth limitations due to excessive file transfers (uploads or downloads), your account will be temporarily disabled.
Help and Support
Questions about this service, including bandwidth, quota and policy concerns should be directed to the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400.