A renovation of Townes Hall now provides students with five spacious amphitheater-type classrooms with state-of-the-art technology. Electrical outlets in these classrooms are at every seat, the restrooms have been completely redone, and new chairs have been installed in all Townes Hall seminar rooms. The hall also includes an auditorium that seats 220 people, and office space for faculty, staff, and student organizations.
In 2006, a new cafeteria, George's Cafe, will be completed and named in honor of attorney George Fleming of Houston.
Townes Hall was named for John C. Townes, a nationally prominent lawyer, former president of the American Association of Law Schools (1909), and former dean of UT Law. Townes' great-grandson was also named for him, musician Townes van Zandt.