Authorized Driver Procedures
Authorized Driver: An employee of the LBJ School may drive a University-owned vehicle for official University Business. To be eligible an employee must hold a valid Texas driver's license, have an acceptable driving record, and have the necessary training. This is in compliance with UT System Policy UTS157. Employees must receive driver training before being authorized and allowed to operate a UT-owned vehicle.
Requirements for the Authorization of Drivers
Directors/supervisors are to submit a written (email acceptable ) request to the LBJ School UT Driver Administrator to authorize an employee to drive a UT-owned vehicle. The request must include the following:
- Driver's Name (as it appears on the license)
- Driver's license number
- Date of Birth
- Date of last training if completed within the last three-years (defensive driving certificate, one-day seminars on driving improvement or video driver training programs). An employee will be required to conduct an approved driver training course if a certificate is not available or not conducted within the last three years.
- Account number to charge for MVR check (approximately $10) and for driver training if needed ($10-$25 depending on type course taken).
In addition, the Director/supervisor is to notify the LBJ School UT Driver Administrator when authorization is no longer needed for an employee to drive a UT-owned vehicle.
The LBJ School UT Driver Administrator will input the above data into the University of Texas Driver Record Information and Verification System (UTDRIVERS). A Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check will be conducted to ascertain the employee driver record status. The LBJ School Driver Administrator will notify the Director/supervisor if the outcome of the MVR check indicates a category that would not allow the employee to drive a University-owned vehicle. In addition, the Administrator will notify the Director/supervisor if driver training is required.
Instructions for accessing UT's online training options can be found at:
Vendor Option 1 - I Drive Safely
Vendor Option 2 - The National Safety Council
LBJ School UT Driver Administrator Responsibilities
- Maintain list of authorized LBJ School drivers on UTDRIVERS
- Notify Directors/supervisors every three years of employee training
- Conduct annual MVR checks of authorized drivers
- Provide the Business Manager current list of drivers for LBJ School vehicle (Jeep) checkout
- Update LBJ School driving procedures as required