University of Texas Ranked No. 30 Among World Universities

July 5, 2012

AUSTIN, TX — The Center for World University Rankings has ranked The University of Texas at Austin No. 30 in its inaugural list of the world’s top 100 universities. The ranking combines seven factors — educational quality, faculty quality, alumni employment, patents, publishing, faculty research citations, and influence.

The factor that most moved the university into the top ranks was quality of faculty, an index that denotes the weighted number of faculty members of an institution who have won prestigious honors such as the Nobel Prize, the Wolf Prize, the Turing Award, and the Schock Prize, all of which have been won by current faculty members — physicist Steven Weinberg (Nobel Prize in Physics), chemist Allen Bard (Wolf Prize), computer scientist E. Allen Emerson (Turing Award), and mathematicians John Tate (Wolf Prize) and Luis Caffarelli (Wolf Prize, Schock Prize), among others.

According to the CWUR, the university is the 22nd best in the United States and the 8th best public university. Other Texas institutions that made the top 100 include UT Southwestern Medical Center (29), Rice University (57), Texas A&M (73), and UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (96).

“This ranking confirms what we've known for a long time — that world-class universities are built by world-class faculty,” said President Bill Powers. “I’m gratified that excellence at UT Austin has been recognized by yet another organization with a multifaceted analysis of the world’s best academies. This is more good news for Texas alumni, whose diplomas increase in value the higher our rankings go.”

The Center for World University Rankings is based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. A different system, the Academic Rankings of World Universities, created by a Shanghai-based think tank nine years ago, currently ranks UT Austin 38. Times Higher Education, the United Kingdom’s leading higher education publication, ranks UT Austin 29th in the world.

For more information, contact: Gary Susswein, Office of the President, 512-471-4945.

65 Comments to "University of Texas Ranked No. 30 Among World Universities"

1.  Alex Bourdeau said on July 5, 2012

Proud to be a Longhorn

2.  Fabriana Zamarripa said on July 5, 2012

Haha

3.  Jill said on July 5, 2012

AWESOME. So proud to be a Longhorn, Hook 'em!

4.  Pat white said on July 5, 2012

I believe ranking would be higher if the 10% rule was dropped.

5.  Charles DiTullio said on July 6, 2012

"The ranking combines seven factors — educational quality, faculty quality, alumni employment, patents, publishing, faculty research citations, and influence." It's interesting that 'facilities' is not a factor. Unless you're an online diploma mill, every university needs/has buildings, grounds, and infrastructure that need to be built and maintained. I wonder where we, and other universitys, would rank if facilities were included as a ranking factor.

6.  Chandris Mccoy said on July 6, 2012

HOOK 'EM HORNS !!!

7.  Brad Helwig said on July 6, 2012

Quality of education compared to the tuition cost is the best indicator for ranking top universities. UT would be top 5 on that list.

8.  waneen spirduso said on July 6, 2012

One would think that being ranked 30th in the world would be a great source of pride to the state of Texas, a great resource, and an achievement that all would aspire to maintain or improve. It seems like a compelling argument for the old saying, "If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it." Will someone please send this ranking to our U.T Board of Regents and the Texas Legislature?

9.  Waldo Peterson said on July 6, 2012

Unfortunately, the University will use this as fodder to protest budget cuts and increase spending and tuition.

10.  Lizbuddie said on July 7, 2012

Well done. Allow me to be the first (of many, I'm sure) to say....

I bet we can do better. Hook 'em.

11.  Alan Collins said on July 7, 2012

Lots of nice prizes!! But can they teach? Can they inspire? Or at least not make a subject uninteresting and inaccesible! What is my tuition paying for? Awards? Or maybe something more?

12.  Hacha Nueva said on July 8, 2012

UT ranks number one in sports all over the world, from poker to american football

13.  Tori Jackson said on July 9, 2012

I must say that this article is a confirmation of a fact that I have known for quite a while. The University of Texas at Austin teems with the very life of purpose and causes one (whether a student, visitor, faculty member or associate of the staff) to deduce that a greater purpose is steadily being achieved.

14.  Brittanie said on July 9, 2012

UT's success brings more and more companies to Austin as the talent pool becomes more and more impressive. This is a great ranking to add to Austin's accolades.

15.  stephen cabrales said on July 9, 2012

Well! Its a surprise! are you sure UT is ranked 30 or were are missing another 0 ? maybe were ranked 300!

16.  Bill said on July 10, 2012

Given the rumor that UT wants Depts to hire work-study students to fill in for fired Staff, I doubt it will be number 30 for long. Can you imagine hiring a student to do the full-time work of a Staff member? Most W/S students only work 12 hrs/wk, have little real life work skills, and certainly have no long-term job commitment. So sad that UT is moving in the wrong direction!

17.  Elizabeth said on July 10, 2012

I looked at the description of the methodology used for determining these rankings and while I'm not a sociologist or the like with wide experience at these things....the methodology leaves a bit to be desired. To determine the quality of the faculty based primarily on the number of prestigious awards is so misleading in regards to faculty quality. Did they really look at prestigious awards field by field or only go for the really big ones like the Nobel? I don't think the UT administration should really be pointing to this study to prove how good we are.

18.  Matt Gray said on July 11, 2012

Why not # 1??

19.  Joe Blow said on July 11, 2012

Hey Bill...Most public universities and even community colleges across the nation are dealing with 10% budget cuts across the board. You adapt to the conditions you are faced with or do you not understand that. Letting staff go does not affect the overall strength of UT or any other institution. Why not blame the Aggie Gov. running this state while you are at it. LOL! By the way, student workers work 19 hours per week.

20.  jackson thomas said on July 11, 2012

Of course,we texas aren't so dumb like the rest of the world thinks.

21.  Leland Gibbons said on July 11, 2012

Just you wait,they will be even better when they look at admitting people who have lived all over the world,who has cultures and languages,who can teach better then professors who just took vacations there.

22.  DeAnne said on July 11, 2012

I am very proud to have attended the University of Texas at Austin, and very proud to be a Longhorn. It has been in my blood since I was a very small child. I always knew the University was very prestigious, and this only proves what I always knew!! Hook 'Em Horns!!

23.  Charles N. Curry said on July 12, 2012

I did not see "diversity" as one on the factors used to determine the rating. What would the rating be if the President paid less attention to diversity and more to academic proficiency?

24.  Gracie said on July 12, 2012

I'm a Longhorn Mom and am very proud of the excellant academic leadership the school has taught my daughter. She will complete her BBA/MPA in 2 more years and Thank God for the wonderdul faculty at that school.

"Hook Em" Longhorns!

25.  Rajesh R. Berigei said on July 12, 2012

Awesome! Hook 'em horns!

26.  kerry said on July 12, 2012

if Governer Rickie gets his way, that ranking will fall off considerably.
Quality faculty is extremely important in adding value to an institution of higher learning. Faculty draws students, grants and enhances reputation.
way to go and hook em horns!

27.  Tyler Derden said on July 12, 2012

Go Longhorns!!!!
PS drop the overanalyzing and the player hatin. Don't hate, baby - PARTICIPATE!!

28.  Sandy Cessna said on July 12, 2012

This ranking might increase by dropping the 9% rule, freshman who have a 106 GPA, exceed all test scores, National Merit Scholor, 20 hours of college credit and are invited to attend a UT Colloquim might contribute to several of the factors if accepted to UT as a freshman. Something more needs to be reconsidered besides professor's honors.

29.  ryan trudy said on July 12, 2012

Who and what is the CWUR. Forgot to mention US New's Weeks Ranking of the top 400 universities.

30.  Judd said on July 12, 2012

The website is a joke! No citations as to who they are or why they are ranking universities. I'd probably use a more credible source before writing this article.

31.  Collin Porterfield said on July 12, 2012

I think Gub'ner Li'l Ricky should go ahead and enhance the quality of education at UT by outlawing evolution (literally) and making EVERY class teach "creation science." Isn't that what he wants? and would that not just shoot UT up numero uno? ;-/ Ricky does not believe in real education -- after all, he went to A&M.

32.  aaa said on July 12, 2012

Is this CWUR a trustable source? Look at the location and director...
Anyways, sp UT tho

33.  C.V. Compton Shaw said on July 12, 2012

I, personally, would add something to enhance the ranking of UT Austin. The cultural, social, economic, and political diversity at UT Austin provides a very maturing and educational environment that other major universities do not possess. UT Austin teaches you to be a good citizen not only of the USA but of the world. Few universities, private or public, can assert the same.
I graduated with a BBA from UT Austin in 1968.

34.  Guy said on July 12, 2012

Interesting that U.T. ranked at >100 in education. How do you use this overall assessment to decide if you want to pursue a study there?

I agree that facilities should be taken into account. In the physical sciences where I got my Ph.D., it was 2nd to none. That's where the work actually gets done; not by plaques on the wall.

35.  John said on July 12, 2012

Great University! So proud to be a longenhorn. What starts here challenges the world.

36.  Luz Vera said on July 12, 2012

Proud to be a Longhorn's Mom

37.  Beth said on July 12, 2012

UT was the best thing that ever happened to me .. or did I just happen to become me at UT 50 years. It's still great to be me & a Longhorn...

38.  James W. Smith said on July 12, 2012

Another reason to be proud of my attendance and graduation fron The University of Texas. Way to go UT ranked No. 30 Among World Universities.

39.  Cardinal said on July 12, 2012

A&M is 73. Poor Aggies.

Rice is 57--go Owls!

Lamar was not ranked, darn.

40.  CaptainJamesFATurner said on July 12, 2012

Congratulations, President Bill Powers and the U T family. Captain Turner

41.  Vivek Mehta, MOMBASA, KENYA said on July 13, 2012

Great Stuff ... well done UT ! Criteria can always be questioned BUT no. 30 is pretty good. Different criteria may up the ranking a few spots or lower a few spots : in either scenario : why not celebrate ?

42.  Michael said on July 13, 2012

How come German Universities rank so low and yet Germany has such a growing economy?

43.  Dennis said on July 13, 2012

What, they didn't include athletic departments as criteria. Sarcasm

44.  Helen said on July 13, 2012

Alan,
Your tuition is giving you access to some very good minds, not only the prize winners but down to the grad students who help you (some of whom have also won prestigious grants/awards).
It's up to you to do a little work and derive the benefit.
"Spoon feeding" should have been 'out' in high school, (although I know it may not have been).

45.  John Goodroe said on July 13, 2012

Excellent ranking. I am very very honored to be associated with The University of Texas.

46.  Aubrey Wilson said on July 13, 2012

A university ranking emanating from Saudi Arabia is worthless!

47.  danny said on July 13, 2012

Wow that hurts

48.  Jim said on July 13, 2012

What a great recognition of a great university. I am proud to be a Longhorn@

49.  Delaine Hays Williamson said on July 14, 2012

Top ranked universities have great faculty that do top quality research, get published and are well recognized in their field. This attracts excellent students. Teaching is still critical. Hope the top prize winning faculty are also excellent teachers and that do not engage in grade inflation.

50.  Gita Rosenwald said on July 15, 2012

So proud that my son is a Longhorn!!

51.  Steve Baker said on July 15, 2012

Congratulations UT! Bill, Faculty, Students and Exes - You continue to make us proud!

52.  Mursakin Sape said on July 16, 2012

Awesome and so proud as UT alumni, hook'em and nice for my beloved longhorn. Congrats from Indonesia. ciao

53.  seanryankelley said on July 16, 2012

Yeah, but we rank number one on money spent of football coaches.

54.  Remi Barron said on July 16, 2012

This ranking is part of a new Internet game. I'm a UT alum, but now analyze rankings for another big university. We didn't publicize this ranking, as it appears that the sole creator is some guy named Nadim in Saudi Arabia.

If you look at the sources at the bottom, all he did was rip-off some other rankings to create his own. The high-math he cites appears to be bogus.

I get a new one of these accross my desk once a week. They send them to the universities in the hope that someone will bite and give them some publicity. Then, down the road, they can sell some adds. If you Google this ranking, it looks like only UT and Rice issued press releases. The source matters.

55.  NAVEEN said on July 16, 2012

matter of proud this time and hope it will be in top 10 in near future..

56.  Clarissa said on July 16, 2012

Proud to be a Longhorn! This is awesome news, but I've already bragged that UT is 8th in public schools. This sounds so much cooler though, 30th in the WORLD!

57.  Sergio Pineda said on July 17, 2012

Congrats and Kudos! I am extremely proud to be a UT alumni.

58.  kim smith said on July 18, 2012

WOW!!! What an honor. I live in California and have wished I could have gone to UT for years. So happy for each of you that have the opportunity to further your education there. Best wishes to you all, and may the value of your diploma increase your value in the job market. HOOK EM' Horns.

59.  Bill said on July 18, 2012

@JoeBlow: I have hired many w/s students over the years and while they may be approved to work up to 19 hrs/wk, rarely were they able to do that; 12-14 hrs/wk was about it. With fewer staff, faculty have to assume the work load is the point. Faculty are already heavily burdened with administrative tasks. Instead of teaching and research they are expected to do the work of staff who have been laid off. Yes, I know we're in bad times, and I do blame the State Legislature and the Governor for that! They are all anti-education, proven by the fact that State funding for UT is only 14% of UT's budget. We'd be better off if UT were a private university.

60.  Melinda Fathi said on July 18, 2012

For me, U. T . will always be Number One.

61.  Brad Herrick said on July 19, 2012

US News ranks us #76...and I trust them WAY more than whoever this organization is. Overall, we are no longer in the same league with educational innovators like MIT, Berkeley, Carnegie-Mellon, etc because we simply don't take chances nor do we give students what they want...such as online courses and dual-credit options. With the current administration, that will never change.

62.  Bill said on July 21, 2012

I wonder how how UT can retain this high status as it admits more students and fires more staff. I know UT need the income from the students, but who's going to do the work which comes with it?

63.  Anderson said on July 23, 2012

Honestly don't believe we're the 30th best university in the world. Heck we are not even the best UT in the world. University of Toronto is better but we are higher than them on this list.

On all other lists UofT is higher.

64.  An Hoang Nguyen said on July 24, 2012

In response to Michael's comment #42 posted on July 13, 2012, I would say that Germany is a nation about half the size of Texas, but with a population about four times as big. Texas enjoys eight times more living space per capita than Germany. The University of Texas - The Pearl of Texas - well deserves the high ranking as unanimously presented by all major ranking agencies of the world considering all that UT has achieved. I can say that Texas alone - the Lone Star State - fares very high amongst many nations of the world in terms of higher education thanks in large part to UT. An Nguyen, alumnus, from Saigon, Vietnam.

65.  Tim said on July 26, 2012

That's great, but what is the ranking of the football team? Isn't that what's more important to the University?