Teaching and research assistantships provide important experience for graduate students. Assistantships benefit students through interaction with faculty members, and financial support provided by these employment opportunities. Nonresident students who are employed at least half-time as a Teaching Assistant, Assistant Instructor, Graduate Research Assistant, Academic Assistant, Assistant (Graduate) or Tutor (Graduate) are eligible to receive a waiver of the nonresident portion of their tuition and will be charged in-state tuition. Duties and responsibilities of each appointment will vary by department and supervisor.
Graduate students may be appointed as a Teaching Assistant, Assistant Instructor, Graduate Research Assistant, Academic Assistant, Assistant (Graduate) or Tutor (Graduate) for up to 14 long semesters while pursuing a graduate degree at The University of Texas at Austin.
- Conditions/requirements for academic employment
- Departmental Resources
- Fourteen-semester rule
- New Student Employee Checklist
- Student Employee Excellence Development (S.E.E.D.) Program
- Student Employment Questions and Answers
- Policies regarding academic employees
Grievance Policies and Procedures
- Standards of conduct
- Dispute Resolution Process and Grievance Procedure
- Sex discrimination and sexual harassment
- Teaching Assistant and Assistant Instructor Grievance Procedures