University Operations Awards
We are proud of our award-winning services and dedicated staff members. You can meet some amazing members of the University Operations team by reading about our SLICE Award winners, or you can learn more about our organization through viewing our recent awards and recognitions listed below:
- Document Solutions won the 2013 IMPA Mail Center of the Year award.
- Document Solutions has won gold, silver, and bronze In-Print Awards for their printing and copying services every year from 2006 to 2013.
- APPA (Association of Physical Plant Administrators) presented an Effective & Innovative Practices Award to The University of Texas at Austin at the annual APPA conference in July 2009. APPA honored the university for the Facilities Services and Project Management and Construction Services SITES and On the Spot Employee Recognition programs
- Bob Harkins, associate vice president for Campus Safety and Security, was named Parking Professional of the Year by the International Parking Institute in 2009
- Juan Ontiveros, executive director of Utilities and Energy Management, was appointed to a National Research Council committee in 2009, and currently serves with eight other experts from across the country developing a safety-and-energy-efficiency plan for D.C.’s Capitol Power Plant
- Longhorn Aquatics received the 2009 Club Excellence Title for the sixth consecutive year as the nation’s best swim club that supports USA Swimming
- Custodial Services earned the 2006 OS1 Best Pioneer Award for implementing a more effective and ergonomic cleaning system
- Parking and Transportation Services won the 2007 Commute Solutions of Central Texas Commuter Challenge for the third consecutive year for its outstanding level of employee participation and environmentally friendly commuter programs
- John Burns, landscape manager, was named to the Professional Grounds Management Society’s Board of Directors in 2006 as the South Central Regional Director
- General Services' Solid Waste & Recycling section won the 2007 Waste Minimization Award from the National Recycling Coalition for having the lowest waste per capita of all competing universities
- Miles Abernathy, associate director of Utilities and Energy Management, received the 2007 Texas Association of Physical Plant Administrators Award for his years of service in higher education administration
- Wanda Davis Watkins, Child Development Center teacher, received the 2007 Sallie Beth Moore Award from the Austin Association for the Education of Young Children for excellence in early childhood education
- Facilities Services received a 2007 Excellence in Pretreatment Award from the City of Austin Water and Utility for consistently meeting all applicable local, state and federal water pretreatment standards and requirements
Did You Know…
Our Document Solutions unit has four consecutive years of recognition in awards by In-Print and they contribute to the university’s sustainability efforts by recycling 164 tons of paper as well as 3,603 pounds of aluminum.