EHS offers a range of services that help keep laboratories safe on campus.
EHS Assistant is live! PIs and lab personnel can now manage registration, lab inspections, and chemical inventory online.
Green Laboratory Program
Laboratories are the largest consumer of utilities and resources on campus. They also generate a significant amount of waste, both hazardous and non-hazardous. The Office of Sustainability in collaboration with Environmental Health and Safety with support from the Vice Presidents for Research and University Operations have developed a voluntary program called Green Laboratories. Find out more about the Green Laboratory program here.
Chemical Fume Hood
- Testing — Chemical fume hoods are tested by building on a regular schedule to meet proper performance criteria. Hoods are also tested on an "as requested" basis.
- VAV Chemical Fumehoods
Refrigerators and Freezers
- Lab Safe Units
EHS performs lab clean-outs when a department has a large number of containers to dispose but does not have the personnel or knowledge to fill out the Request for Disposal forms.
Laboratory Design Plan Review
Design plans for renovation of existing lab space or for construction of new lab buildings are reviewed for adherence to applicable standards and accepted practice.
Name Tag for Compressed Gas Cylinders
EHS can provide a plastic sleeve that holds a Name Tag for compressed gases. Each user can complete and print their own tag by using this template.
Feel free to tag all your compressed gas cylinders, but at a minimum hazardous gases should have an attached tag. Download the tag template (PDF).
- Contact List for Labs
- Hazardous Chemical SOP (Word document)
- Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Lab Safety Manual
- Laboratory Training Requirements
- Pyrophorics Guidelines
- Safe Handling of Piranha SOP (PDF)
- Safety Guide for Field Researchers (PDF)
- Universal Precautions (for preventing bloodborne disease)
- Vacuum Pump Safety
Lab Safety Information
- Laundry Services for Lab Coats
- Lab Safety Big 12 — Avoid the 12 most common laboratory safety problems
- Department Specific HazCom Training
- Disposal of Gas Cylinders
- Labeling Hazardous Chemical Containers
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Spill Control Kits
- Training Requirements