The School of Undergraduate Studies oversees the components of a college education that are shared by all undergraduates at the university. The mission of the school includes the responsibility for sustaining a dynamic common curriculum and enriching the undergraduate experience through innovative advising, career counseling, academic assistance, learning communities, interdisciplinary programs, and undergraduate research.
The overall functions of the school are organized as follows.
- Instill in each student the distinctive traits of a University of Texas at Austin graduate and broadly educated person
- Ensure a high-quality core curriculum by working closely with the other colleges and schools to set and enforce standards for the courses required of all undergraduate students
- Develop and maintain innovative classes for first-year students
- Set standards for and to evaluate courses that satisfy campus-wide requirements in writing and speaking, ethics and leadership, global cultures, cultural diversity, quantitative reasoning, and independent inquiry
- Support ongoing curricular innovation and teaching excellence in these courses and throughout the undergraduate curriculum