2010-2012, 2012-2014 and 2014-2016 Undergraduate Catalogs:
Major: Thirty-three semester hours of English, including at least twenty-four semester hours of upper- division coursework consisting of the following:
1. English 314J, 314L, or 314V (Area A)
2. English 316K, 316L, 316M, 316N, or 316P (Area B)
3. An upper-division course in literature or language prior to 1630 (Area D)
4. An upper-division course in literature or language from 1630 to 1830 (Area E)
5. An upper-division course in literature or language from 1830 to 1940 (Area F)
6. An upper-division diverse perspectives course (Area G)
7. An upper-division single- or dual-author course (Area H)
8. An upper-division research seminar (Area I)
9. Nine additional semester hours of coursework in English, including at least six semester hours of upper-division coursework (Areas C and J)
A list of the courses in each area is available from the Undergraduate Advising Office, Parlin 114, or here.
The student must make a grade of at least C- in each course counted toward fulfillment of the major requirements. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 in courses taken at the University and counted toward the major is also required.
Students are discouraged from taking more than six hours of coursework in English in a semester. No student may take more than nine hours of coursework in English in a semester.
Minor: Twelve semester hours, including at least six hours of upper-division coursework, in any one other field of study in the University. Six of the required twelve hours must be taken in residence. If the minor is in a foreign language other than that used to fulfill the foreign language requirement, the twelve hours may be lower-division but must include at least six hours beyond course 507 or the equivalent.