Dr. Sam Gosling is named Provost's Senior Teaching Fellow
Posted: October 15, 2013
The Provost's Teaching Fellows program is designed to strengthen faculty participation and governance in the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), enhance faculty collaboration across disciplinary and institutional boundaries, and support specific faculty-led projects to improve teaching and learning.
"UT Austin faculty are leading exciting innovations in undergraduate and graduate teaching across the disciplines," Fenves said. "I am grateful to Pat Davis of the College of Pharmacy and the award-winning faculty who worked with our CTL staff to develop this pioneering initiative to bolster educational excellence and innovation."
Nine Senior Fellows will take on a variety of leadership roles for two years, such as leading faculty learning communities, reviewing grants to support curricular and pedagogical innovation, and participating in operational governance for CTL.
Eleven Fellows will receive $25,000 grants to pursue specific projects to improve teaching and learning in their departments, schools or colleges, or at the university. After two years, fellows may continue to participate in the program as Senior Fellows.
Provost's Teaching Fellows will work closely with the Provost, deans, chairs, other faculty leaders and CTL staff to strengthen the University's support structures for excellent teaching. The program is planned to expand and develop through annual nominations.
Michael Starbird, Distinguished Teaching Professor of Mathematics, Chair of the steering committee for the Academy of Distinguished Teachers, and a Senior Fellow, said: "The Provost's Teaching Fellows program will help to nurture UT's role as a distinctive center for excellence in educational practice and innovation. The Academy of Distinguished Teachers looks forward to working collaboratively with the Provost's Teaching Fellows and many others to create an effective, collective effort to position UT as a global leader in innovation in higher education.
2013 Provost's Senior Teaching Fellows:
* Carl Blyth, Department of French and Italian, College of Liberal Arts
* Ruth Buskirk, Biology Instructional Office, College of Natural Sciences
* Pat Davis, College of Pharmacy
* Samuel Gosling, Department of Psychology, College of Liberal Arts
* Martha Hilley, School of Music, College of Fine Arts
* Diane Schallert, Department of Educational Psychology, College of Education
* Michael Starbird, Department of Mathematics, College of Natural Sciences
* Lori Holleran Steiker, School of Social Work
* Mary Steinhardt, Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, College of Education
2013 Provost's Teaching Fellows:
* Brian Bremen, Department of English, College of Liberal Arts
* Keith Brown, Department of Finance, Red McCombs School of Business
* Carol Delville, School of Nursing
* Jennifer Ebbeler, Department of Classics, College of Liberal Arts
* Michael Mackert, Department of Advertising, College of Communication
* Richard Neptune, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cockrell School of Engineering
* Penne Restad, Department of History, College of Liberal Arts
* Michael Scott, Department of Computer Science, College of Natural Sciences
* Catherine Stacy, Division of Statistics & Scientific Computation, College of Natural Sciences
* Sean Theriault, Department of Government, College of Liberal Arts
* David Vandenbout, Department of Chemistry, College of Natural Sciences
For more information, see http://ctl.utexas.edu/communities/provost_teaching_fellows or contact Harrison Keller, Vice Provost for Higher Education Policy & Research at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Jaimie Lenhardt, Publicity and Events Coordinator, Center for Teaching and Learning at email@example.com.