FLAS Fellowship deadline JAN 31st
Fellowship applications for language study in 09-10 now available
Posted: December 10, 2008
For the academic year, these fellowships provide a $15,000 stipend and pay for tuition and required fees (up to a maximum of 12 credit hours). Summer fellowships are also available and provide a $2,400 stipend and tuition and fees (up to a maximum of $3,600).
To be eligible for a Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, you must:
1. Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
2. Show potential for high academic achievement as indicated by grade point average, class rank, and GRE, GMAT, LSAT scores, or equivalent.
3. Demonstrate a long-term interest in South Asia.
4. Be a graduate student in good standing at UT Austin or have been accepted for admission to the Graduate School at UT Austin.
During the fellowship period, academic-year FLAS recipients must be enrolled in at least three hours of language courses on a letter-grade basis during each long semester, while summer FLAS recipients must enroll in an approved intensive modern South Asian language study program for which the fellowship is granted. SASLI (at the University of Wisconsin) and AIIS (in various places in India) are the most common programs used, but you can go to other US universities or other schools in India, such as the Landour Language School for Intermediate Hindi, if the syllabus is approved and there are at least 150 class contact hours in the summer.
• All students applying for the Summer FLAS fellowship should complete the SUMMER FLAS INTENSIVE LANGUAGE STUDY INFORMATION sheet and a separate complete application. We also advise that you send references specifically addressing the summer program especially if the summer FLAS will be used to study a different language than the academic year.
• The South Asia Institute does not receive or keep on file your application for admission to any program of study at the University of Texas, including transcripts and references. These are necessary for your application and must be sent to us even if another department or office at UT has them on file.
• We encourage everyone who has an interest to apply, regardless of previous language experience.
Download an application form (PDF 576K)