National Instruments, Tech Writer Intern, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 7779
Tue, April 15, 2014
Position Overview and Responsibilities
National Instruments is hiring paid, full-time technical writing interns for Summer 2014.
Technical writing interns work within product teams in the Research and Development organization. Potential projects include rewriting content to fit the DITA model, editing product documentation, creating product documentation in print and electronic format, and testing NI documentation with their respective NI products.
From this internship, you can expect to develop fundamental skills you can use to build your career as a technical writer:
• Information gathering
• Technical skills
• Written and verbal communication
• Problem solving
• Teamwork and cooperation
• Time management and organization
Please Note: National Instruments does NOT petition for H-1B status from student visas for full-time Technical Writer hires, thus can not accept candidates for this intern position who are on a student visa and have Curriculum Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), or academic training.
US Customs Law forbids the export of certain technologies to certain countries. Due to licensing requirements which National Instruments does not presently pursue for this position, this regulation effectively prevents National Instruments from hiring candidates for this job (as it would require access to such technology) whose current country of citizenship or permanent residence are Cuba, Sudan, North Korea, Iran and Syria.
• Pursuing bachelor's or master's degree in Technical Communications, English, Journalism, or other major with writing-intensive component and/or science/technology emphasis
• Must be a current student in good standing
• Interest in exploring a technical writing career
• Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills - must provide samples of excellent writing skills, preferably of technical content
• Demonstrated technical interest and aptitude
o Comfortable conducting research and asking questions to understand technical material
o Ability to learn new ideas quickly
o Strong interest in and comfort with technical subject matter
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Persistence and initiative to learn
• Ability to work effectively in a group environment
• English Language Competency: Ability to clearly and concisely communicate in English (verbal and written) so that persons you work with can understand you clearly, particularly in technical conversation.
Prefer experience in at least one of the following areas:
• Prior work experience and/or extracurricular activities with focus on writing or editing; for example, working as a writing tutor or writing for a student newspaper.
• Prefer experience writing or editing content with technical subject matter.
• Coursework in mathematics and/or science
o Prefer knowledge of computer programming basics and/or completion of some computer science/programming coursework
• Experience with a markup language, such as HTML or XML
Successfully completing one or more Technical Writing Intern positions may lead to an offer for a rewarding, full-time technical writing position.
Required Application Materials:
• Cover Letter
• 2 Original Writing Samples
Each sample should be 500-1,000 words in length, and we prefer one tech writing sample. For example, you might submit a how-to document for completing a task in your favorite software application. Or, you might submit a conceptual overview of a new technology. The samples may be excerpts from larger works but should be complete enough to stand on their own.
Application Deadline 4/15 . See BTT Gateway Job ID 7779